Goodbye XFire! the Gamer's Facebook

“Dear Xfire users - It is with sadness that we must announce that the Xfire Social services will be shutdown on Friday. Please visit social.xfire.com to download your video/screenshot data. We apologize for the short notice

- Xfire Community Team Wed Jun 10 17:58:44 2015”


I cannot believe it, suddenly Xfire is closing down with just 3 days notice to its users, they will be focusing on making Xfire as a tournament platform rather a gamer’s facebook. I went to the social.xfire.com as announced and I saw this as their final message:



I was able to download my data on my second attempt, a while ago I was on queue #349, I got Xfire screenshots but no videos. I also tried logging in my xfire account through the website, there was an error and no more password recovery available either. Their server must be busy at the moment.


I have been using Xfire for more than a decade before I even heard of Facebook, It was amazing, it can detect my installed games, clock my hours playing, take screenshots, capture videos, chat with friends online, detect my PC rig! detects your favorite FPS servers from Counter-Strike, COD and Battlefield, it has been the main witness during my unforgettable gaming moments.

Then Raptr and Steam came along, and these 3 are among the startup programs in my PC until to this very day. I would sync my Xfire gaming hours and other different gaming accounts in Raptr, Xfire data can be imported to Raptr as well for first-time users, its just too bad Steam does not have this function and not compatible with the two. I am not the expert on this but I’m sure Xfire had a massive influence on the current capabilities of gaming platforms like Battle.net, Steam, Uplay, Origin, and Twitch.

Now that I think about it, up until now, there was no other like Xfire, its functionalities are so varied. It was also the first web browser that can be used in-game, no need for Alt+Tab, you can do your browsing while playing, very helpful during my quests in World of Warcraft. Gameplay music videos creators like me uses video captures via Xfire, unlike Fraps, Xfire’s has video compression method that comes with decent resolution and minimal lags. The graphical user interface can also be customized in-game, you can adjust the opacity, sizes, placement area etc..


Nothing last forever I guess, goodbye Xfire. Kudos to the original founders who left the Xfire team a long time ago for making a revolutionary gaming companion app before the term“companion app” or “social networking” were even coined. It was fun, I found some friends there, some are still on my list on Steam and Raptr. Thank you Xfire!! and Goodluck to your new Xfire the ultimate tournament platform.

” System Broadcast:

Dear Xfire users - It is with sadness that we must announce that the Xfire Social services will be shutdown on Friday (June 12th). Please visit social.xfire.com to download your video/screenshot data. We apologize for the short notice - Xfire Community Team

Wed Jun 10 18:58:41 2015”

#Xfire #Raptor #Uplay #Steam #Battlenet #Twitch #Origin #Gamer #Gaming

Popular Posts